|BIRTH & BAPTISM||John was born in 1578 in Awliscombe, Devonshire, England[14,15] and baptized in Awliscombe, Devonshire, England on 28 December 1578[2,11,16,18].|
|DEATH & BURIAL||He died in Dorchester, Suffolk co., MA on 2 February 1635/6; he was 57[15,16,17]. His death record reads: "Mr. John Maverick, teacher of the church of Dorchester, died, being near sixty years of age. He was a [blank] man of a very humble spirit, and faithful in furthering the work of the Lord here, both in the churches and civil state". John Maverick was also eulogized by The Reverend Cotton Mather & Governor Winthrop.|
|EDUCATION||Like his uncle Radford, John matriculated from Exeter College at Oxford University on 24 October 1595 when he was eighteen and a clergyman's son. Officially, he received his B.A. on 8 July 1599 and his on M.A. 7 July 1603.|
He was ordained at Exeter, Devonshire, England as a Deacon and a Priest on 29 July 1597. He
spent his life's work as a Minister; first as a Curate to his uncle Radford
Maverick at South Huish, Devonshire, England from 1606 to 1614 and then as a
Rector at Beaworthy (southwest of Hatherly, 8 miles northwest of
Okehampton), Devonshire, from 1615 to 1629[21,22,23,24].
Officially, he was instituted to St. Alban's Beaworthy (North Devon, near Dartmoor),
Devonshire, England on 20 August 1615, at Silverton, Devonshire, England by
William Cotton, Bishop of Exeter, on the death of John Norrice and on the presentation of Sir
John Arscott. The next Recor, John Crought, was instituted on 24 March 1629, After John Maverick
resigned to emigrate to New England.
In a 1924 article in the New England Historic Genealogical Register, it was noted that the parish registers of South Huish were now in the neighboring parish of Marlborough, Devonshire, England. At that time, services were only held on the grounds of the church at South Huish once a year in order to hold the property and had not been held regularly since the 1880s. As a result, the church was in ruins. I do not know if any ruins of the church remain today.
|MIGRATION||John and family emigrated on the Mary & John, leaving Plymouth, Devonshire, England on 20 March 1630 and arriving in Nantasket, MA on 3 May 1630. The children who came over with John & Mary Maverick were Elias, aged 26; Mary, aged 21; Moses, aged 19; Abigail, aged 17; Antipas, aged 11 and John, Jr., aged 9. John Maverick is listed on the Mary & John Clearinghouse master index as #424 "Maverick, John (1578-1636) of Dorchester, MA From Awliscombe, Devon 14:45".|
|CHURCH AFFILIATION||At first blush, the Mavericks didn't seem to be particularly Puritan -- it seemed that they just followed their son Samuel to the Boston, Suffolk co., MA area. However, when one considers that they would have had contact with the Puritan movement in Devonshire, England and that John's grandson, Samuel Maverick married Rebecca Wheelwright, it suggests a larger involvement with the Puritan movement. Rebecca was the daughter of The Reverend John Wheelwright and Mary Hutchinson. John Wheelwright and Anne Hutchinson were the leaders of the Antinomian movement which threatened the Puritan colonial structure in the 1630s. As a result, they were banished to Rhode Island. Finally, in March of 1629/30, John was chosen as one of the teachers of the Puritan church organized at Plymouth, England and was one of two ministers chosen to come over with the Mary & John. However, their son, Samuel -- despite his son's marriage to the child of staunch Antinomians -- was himself such a staunch Episcopalian & Royalist that he sailed back to England in order to beg relief from his Puritan neighbors. However, his timing was awful. He arrived in the midst of the English Civil War & had to cool his heels in England until the restoration of Charles II years later in order to be heard.|
|CITIZENSHIP||John Maverick requested Freemanship on 19 October 1630 as "Mr. Joh Maveracke" and was admitted as a Freeman on 18 May 1631[14,31].|
|MISCELLANEOUS MENTION...||The Mavericks took care of Roger Clap when he was a child. "On 19 March 1631/2 'Mr. Maverick, one of the ministers of Dorchester, in drying a little powder (which took fire by the heat of the fire pan), fired a small barrell of two or three pounds, yet did no other harm by singed his clothes. It was in the new meeting-house which was thatched, and the thatch only blacked a little"[25,26]. On 3 April 1633 he was listed as the owner of two cows and responsible for forty feet of double-railed fence at Dorchester, Suffolk co., MA[16,32]. In 1633 as one of a committee consisting of two ruling ministers and two deacons, Maverick helped to establish the rules of government for the town of Dorchester[16,35].|
|MARRIAGE||On 28 October 1600 when John was 22, he married Mary GYE, daughter of Robert GYE & Grace DOWRISH, in Alsington [now Islington], Devonshire, England[15,16,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47] by The Reverend Radford Maverick, Vicar of Ilsington. Mary's lineage is an impressive journey through the historical and royal figures of Europe to the year 384 C.E.|
Samuel was born circa 1602 in England[16,50,53,54]. His age is estimated from a
deposition of 7 December 1665 in which he is called "aged sixty-three years or thereabouts".
Samuel died sometime between 1669 and 1676.
Samuel emigrated to New England aboard the 180-ton ship the Katherine, Joseph Stratton, master, which landed at Weymouth, Norfolk co., MA, just south of Boston. He and the other few founding settlers of Boston had originally been sent over as part of a party by the Reverend John White of St. Peter's Church in Dorchester, Dorsetshire, England.
He originally settled at Winnissimet, now Chelsea, Suffolk co., MA and built a farm there alongside the Mystic River. Samuel had one neighbor, David Thompson, and together they fended off attacks from the Native population. Samuel apparently held no grudges about this, for in 1633, he and his wife Amias helped to nurse those Natives who had fallen victim to a smallpox epidemic. David Thompson, Amias' first husband, took possession of Trevour Island in Boston Harbor in 1626. It soon acquired his named and to this day is known as Thompson's Island.
Samuel's house was considered the first permanent settlement in Boston Harbor and "Maverick's Palisade house" was the oldest permanent house in the entire Mass Bay Colony. It was still standing in 1660. Today, it's probably under Logan Airport.
Supposedly, Governor John Winthrop sought him out to ask his advice on a site for Winthrop's settlement upon arrival in 1630. Later in life, Samuel wrote A Brief Description of New England, in which he describes his land: "...About 2 miles south from Rumney Marsh on the north side of Mistick river, is Winnisimet, One house yet standing there with is the ancientness house in the Mass Government. A house which in 1625 I fortified with Pillizado &c..." His father, John, died at this house in 1636, when he was 59.
By the time his family came over on the Mary & John in 1630, Samuel had already been "7 years in Chelsea", which is in Suffolk co., MA, just north of Boston. By Chelsea's own reckoning, the town was founded in 1624 by him.
Samuel didn't have a grant to his original settlement, but John Endicott and other members of the Puritan power structure recognized him as an "old planter" who had won the right to his land by occupation. Thus, the General Court gave him the grant of Noodles or Noddles Island in 1633. Noddles Island is now East Boston, and the family is remembered with "Maverick Square" and the T's "Maverick Station".
On 27 February 1634/5, he, his wife Amias and John Blackleach sold the lion's share of the Winnisimmet estate -- "Ša messuage called Winesemit, with the appurtenancesŠ" -- to Richard Bellingham, who later divvied this up into separate farms. This deal included almost all the land within the present city of Chelsea. Maverick also sold the reversion of the ferry to him at this time and on 28 August 1635, Stitson sold his life interest in the ferry to Bellingham. The rest of the Maverick estate stayed in the hands of Elias Maverick.
There are several mentions of Samuel Maverick in the Suffolk County Deeds: On 24 March 1654/5 Samuel Maverick, assigned a bond of a Captain Crumwell to one Richard Knight of Noddles Island [2:224]. On 8 December 1665 Samuel Maverick, age 63 years or thereabouts deposed about the estate of Samuell Bennett of Lynn, Essex co., MA [4:328]. This is the same Samuell Bennett who had so many dealings with Thomas Marshall (see his own report).
Samuel was a devout Episcopalian -- surprisingly, since his namesake son married into the equally devout Antinomian families of Wheelwright & Hutchinson. But Samuel, Sr.'s Episcopalian leanings and loyalty to the English Crown caused much trouble for him -- first with the fiercely Puritan residents of Chelsea and later with the General Court of the Massachusetts colony. Unhappy with how he was treated by his Puritan neighbors and colonial government, Samuel returned to England to plead his case. With exquisitely bad timing, he arrived to do so during the English Civil War, and -- needless to say -- did not receive much attention. He hung around in England until Charles II was restored and then received the attention he sought.
He returned to New England in 1664 as one of the King's Commissioners with a charge from Charles II to "settle the affairs" of the New Englanders and reduce the Dutch presence in New Netherlands. He ignored the former, but took on the later with the other commissioners so charged by Charles II. The effort was successful -- New Netherlands became New York and the capital city of New Amsterdam also became New York City. Samuel was rewarded with a house on what is now 50 Broadway in 1669. He settled there and died in New York City sometime after 1679.
Circa 1627-8 when Samuel was 25, he married Amias/Amyas COLE, widow of David THOMPSON, in Boston, Suffolk co., MA. Amias was born circa 1593, the daughter of William COLE.
They had the following children:
i. Samuel, Jr. On 4 December 1660 Samuel married Rebecca WHEELWRIGHT, daughter of
The Reverend John WHEELWRIGHT & Mary HUTCHINSON ("late of Hampton")
in Boston, Suffolk co., MA[15,183]. They were married by Major Humphrey Atherton. She
second married William BRADBURY of Salisbury, Essex co., MA in 1671/2. Rebecca was an
interesting choice for Samuel. His father was an ardent Royalist and Episcopalian, yet Rebecca's
parents were among the leaders of the Antinomians.
||29.||ii.||Elias MAVERICK||Please see his own page.|
||30.||iii.||Mary1 MAVERICK||Mary1 was baptized in South Huish, Devonshire, England on 30 November 1606 as "Mary, daughter of John Mavericke"[16,86] and was buried there on 6 March 1606/7 as "Marie, daughter of Mr. John Mavericke"[16,86].|
||31.||iv.||Aaron MAVERICK||Aaron was baptized in South Huish, Devonshire, England on 6 March 1607/8 as "Arone, son of John Mavericke"[16,86]. He was still living when he was mentioned in the will of his uncle Radford Maverick on 20 July 1622, but there is no further record after that[16,87]. There is speculation that he probably died before 1630, since he did not emigrate with the rest of his family the New England. Then again, he was 22 years old at the time. He may have simply chosen another path than that of his family and disappeared into English records.|
||32.||v.||Mary2 MAVERICK||Mary2 was baptized in South Huish, Devonshire, England on 6 January 1609/10 as "Marie, daughter of John Mavericke"[16,86] and died after 1658; she was 49. Mary was 21 when she emigrated to New England with her family in 1630 aboard the Mary & John. Circa 1635 when Mary2 was 26, she married The Reverend James PARKER, in Dorchester, Suffolk co., MA. Mary2 lived with her family in Dorchester, Suffolk co., MA 1630. After marriage, she and James moved to Weymouth, Norfolk co., MA. Finally, in 1646, they removed to Barbados.|
||33.||vi.||Moses MAVERICK||Please see his own page.|
||34.||vii.||Abigail MAVERICK||Abigail1 was baptized in South Huish, Devonshire, England on 20 March 1613/4 as "Abbigalle, daughter of John Mavericke"[25,86]. Abigail was 17 when she emigrated to New England with her family in 1630 aboard the Mary & John. Before 1643 when Abigail was 30, she married John MANNING, in Dorchester, Suffolk co., MA. John was a Merchant in Boston, Suffolk co., MA.|
||35.||viii.||Antipas MAVERICK||Antipas was born circa 1619 in England. Antipas was apparently "the black sheep" of the Maverick family. He was 11 when he emigrated to New England with his family in 1630 aboard the Mary & John. In 1652, he moved to Kittery, York co., ME. He also lived in Exeter, Strafford co., NH and the Isle of Shoals off the coast of New Hampshire. In 1647, he was listed as a merchant on the Isle of Shoals. Antipas died when he fell out of a boat while intoxicated and drowned. Circa 1648 when Antipas was 29, he married in Dorchester, Suffolk co., MA[15,25]. We know nothing of his wife.|
||36.||ix.||John MAVERICK, JR.||
John, Jr. was born circa 1621 in England. He was only 9 when he emigrated to New
England with his family in 1630 aboard the Mary & John. Apparently, the trip made an
impression because John became a sailor and moved to South Carolina. He was a
member of the first parliament of the South Carolina colony. This branch of the family had a
strain of wanderlust missing from the rest of the brood. For example, the Samuel Augustus Maverick
who helped to settle Texas is descended from John, Jr..
John originally lived with his family in Dorchester, Suffolk co., MA and moved to Barbados, then South Carolina sometime after 1645 as proven by this deposition in which: "John Maverick of Dorchester in New England, sailor, deposes 24 April 1645, aged 24. His brother 'liveth hard by Boston.'[28,181]" On 15 April 1649 when John was 28, he married Jane ANDREWES, in All Hallows London Wall, London, England[25,182].
They had the following children:
|GENERATION||Great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great (G9) Grandfather (twice)|
|FAMILY NUMBER||3732 (via Elias) and 3748 (Moses)|
1. Edward Carroll Death Record,
19 October 1899, Lynn, Essex co., MA,
1866, 192, p. 186, #337.
||Return to the Maverick Index page.||
|Return to the Family Index page.||
||Return to the Surname Index page.|
||Return to the Maddison Side Tree page.||
all the content on this page is copyrighted ©1992-2002 by Kristin C. Hall.
SPECIAL THANKS TO kattyb.com for the nifty background! Check our her sites, they are terrific!
please drop me a line, if you wish to use it or link to it.
SPECIAL THANKS TO kattyb.com for the nifty background! Check our her sites, they are terrific!