|BIRTH||Mary was born on 4 October 1640[2,38]|
|DEATH||She died after 1735; she was 94. In 1735, it was noted that she was still living and "very aged".|
|LEGAL MENTION||On 21 December 1680, "Mary French administrator to the estate of her deceased husband John Sternes," along with "John Stearnes" and "Samuel Starnes" petitioned for a division of the estate of John Stearns. To this petition were appended two other items: a "Request of the selectmen of Billerica[, Middlesex co., MA] for the Court to take into consideration the condition of the family of one Lt. W[illia]m French " 18 December 1680; and the "Court being informed that Lr. W[illia]m French of Billerica[, Middlesex co., MA] is by God's hand through impotency & weakness unfit to govern his domestic concerns, at the request of his friend Deacon Tompson & his son Jacob French are empowered to assist his wife in the ordering & disposing of his estate, so as may best conduce for the supply of the family," 21 December 1680 [from the Scott Genealogy, page 196, location of petition not stated].|
|MARRIAGE #1||In December 1656 when Mary was 16, she first married John STEARNS, in Barnstable, Plymouth co., MA by Thomas Hinckley, Esq. John was one of the first settlers of Billerica, Middlesex co., MA and died on 5 March 1668/9.|
|MARRIAGE #2||On 6 May 1669 when Mary was 28, she second married Captain William FRENCH, Esq., in Billerica, Middlesex co., MA[2,42,63,64,65,66,67,68,69,70,71,72].|
|CHILDREN (surnamed FRENCH)||
||i.||Mary FRENCH||Please see her own page.|
|MARRIAGE #3||Mary third married Isaac MIXER.|
|GENERATION||Great-great-great-great-great-great-great (G7) Grandmother|
1. Torrey, Charles, New England Marriages Prior to 1700.,
(Boston: New England Historic and Genealogical Society).
2. Bond, Henry, Genealogies of the Families and Descendants of the Early Settlers of Watertown, Massachusetts, (Boston: NEHGS, 1860) [Appended to the Watertown, Middlessex co., MA VRs on the CD], [Bond or Watertown], I:453.
3. New England Historic and Genealogical Register. Vols. 1+, (Boston: New England Historic and Genealogical Register, 1845+), [NEHGR], 66:357, 84:439.
4. Williams, C.B., Ancestry of Lawrence Williams, (Chicago: privately printed, 1915), [Williams (#16)], 101, 113.
5. The Utah Genealogical and Historical Magazine, (Salt Lake City: Gen. Soc. of Utah, 1910), [Utah Gen. Mag.], 20:66.
6. Boyd, Cora (Dunham), . . . Ancestors and Descendants of Wilford William and Cora Dunham Boyd 1620-1928, (St. Louis, Mo., 1928), mimeographed, [Dunham-Boyd], 72.
7. Bullard, Edgar, John Bullard and Allied Families. The American Ancestors of George Newton Bullard and Mary Eli Bullard, (Detroit, Mich., 1930), [BullardAnc], 220.
8. Merritt, Douglas, Coxe, and Connected Families, (New York: T.A. Wright, 1915), [Coxe Anc. (1915)], 37.
9. The New York Genealogical and Biographical Record, vols. 1+, (New York: New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 1870+), [NYGBR], 48:305.
10. [Riggs, Henry Earle-prob.], The American Ancestors of Margaret Esther Bouton Thom and John Thom, ([Ann Arbor, MI: Edwards Bros., Inc., 1944]), [ThomAncChart], 4.
11. Jacobus, Donald Lines, et al., Hale, House and Related Families, Mainly of the Connecticut River Valley, (Hartford: Connecticut Historical Society, 1952), [Hale (1952)], 327.
12. Johnson, Alvin Page, Franklin D. Roosevelt's Colonial Ancestors; Their Part in Making American History, (Boston: Lothrop, Lee & Shepard Co., ca. 1933), [RooseveltAnc], 100.
13. Flagg, Ernest, Genealogical Notes on the Founding of New England, (Hartford: Case, Lockwood & Brainard, 1926), [FlaggAnc], 277.
14. Frost, Josephine C., Ancestors of Jerry Crary, (New York: F.H. Hitchcock, 1924), [Crary-Dunham], 47.
15. Cary, Henry Grosvenor, Cary Family in America, (Boston: privately printed, 1907), [Cary Anc.], 77.
16. Farwell, John Dennis, Jane Harter Abbott, and Lillian M. Wilson, The Farwell Family, A History of Henry Farwell and His Wife Olive (Welby) Farwell of Boston, England, and of Concord and Chelmsford, Mass., 1605 to 1927, with Twelve Generations of Their Descendants; Also Many Lineages of Allied Families, 2 vols., (Rutland, Vt.: F.H. Farwell, 1929), [Farwell(1929)], 543.
17. Otis, Amos, Genealogical Notes of Barnstable Families. . . , 2 vols., (Barnstable, Mass.: F.B. & F.P. Goss, 1888-90), [Barnstable Fam.], 2:162.
18. Clapp, Ebenezer, The Clapp Memorial, (Boston: David Clapp & Son, 1876), [Clapp], 52.
19. Avery, Samuel Putnam, The Warren, Little, Lothrop, Park, Dix, Whitman, Fairchild, Platt, Wheeler, Lane and Avery Pedigrees of Samuel Putnam Avery, 1847 to 1920, ([New York]: N.Y. Gen. and Bio. Society, 1925), [Avery Anc. (1925)], 56.
20. Boardman, William F. J., The Ancestry of William Francis Joseph Boardman, (Hartford, Conn, 1906), [Boardman Anc.], 287.
21. [Crocker, Uriel Haskell], Memorial of Uriel Crocker, ([Boston, 1891]), [Crocker], 59.
22. Starr, Frank Farnsworth, Various Ancestral Lines of James Goodwin and Lucy (Morgan) Goodwin of Hartford, Conn., 2 vol., (Hartford, Conn.: [Tuttle, Morehouse & Taylor], 1915), [Goodwin-Morgan], 1:273.
23. [Brainerd, Dwight],, Ancestry of Thomas Chalmers Brainerd, (Montreal, 1948), [Brainerd Anc.], 166.
24. Blish, James Knox, Genealogy of the Blish Family in America, (n.p.: [H. L. Throop], 1905), [Blish], 323.
25. [Avery Anc. (1925)], 61.
26. [Blish], 232.
27. Jacobus, Donald Lines, The Granberry Family and Allied Families, (Hartford, Conn.: E. F. Waterman, 1945), [Granberry], 210.
28. [Brainerd Anc.], 198.
29. The Mayflower Descendant, vols. 1-34, Bowman, George Ernest, ed., (Boston: Mayflower Society, 1899-1937), [MD], 6:238.
30. [NEHGR], 2:195, 5:260, 56:184.
31. [Barnstable Fam.].
32. [Goodwin-Morgan], 1:275.
33. [FlaggAnc], 278.
34. Briggs, Mary Balch, We and Our Kinsfolk. Ephraim and Rebekah Waterman Briggs, their Descendants and Ancestors. With a few Collateral Branches, (Boston: Beacon Press, 1887), [BriggsAnc], 124.
35. [Clapp], 47.
36. Andrews, Henry Franklin, The Hamlin Family: (1639 to 1902) A Genealogy of James Hamlin of Barnstable, Mass., Eldest Som of James Hamlin, the Immigrant, Who Came from London, England, and Settled in Barnstable, 1639, 2 vols., (Exira, Iowa: privately printed, 1902), [Hamlin], 105-6.
37. Hammond, Frederick Stan, History and Genealogies of the Hammond Families in America, with an Account of the Early History of the Family in Normandy and Great Britain, 2 vols., (Oneida, N.Y.: Ryan & Buckhart, 1902), [Hammond], 1:54.
38. [NEHGR], 2:195.
39. Wyman, Thomas Bellows, The Genealogies and Estates of Charlestown, 2 vols., (Boston: D. Clapp and Son, 1879), [Charlestown], II:605.
40. [Brainerd Anc.], 200.
41. [ThomAncChart], 183.
42. Warner, Frederick Chester, The Ancestry of Samuel Freda and John Warner, 5 vols., (Boston, Mass.: 1949, 1955), typescript, [Warner-Harrington], 218.
43. [MD], 6:236.
44. [NEHGR], 2:195, 9:286.
45. [Utah Gen. Mag.], 20:67.
46. [Avery Anc. (1925)], 71.
47. [Dunham-Boyd], 77.
48. Clarke, Mary (Bosworth), Bosworth Genealogy; a History of the Descendants of Edward Bosworth who arrived in America in the Year 1634; with an Appendix containing other Lines of American Bosworths, (San Francisco, 1926), [Bosworth], 400.
49. [Charlestown], I:338-9; II:605, 611.
50. [Goodwin-Morgan], 1:279.
51. ([Boston, 1891]), [Crocker], 58.
52. Frost, Josephine C., Ancestors of Henry Rogers Winthrop and His Wife Alice Woodward Babcock, ([New York?], 1927), [Winthrop-Babcock], 313, 337-8.
53. Anderson, Mary Audentia, Ancestry and Posterity of Joseph Smith and Emma Hale, (Independence, Mo.: Herald Publishing House, 1929), [Smith-Hale], 250.
54. [Williams (#16)], 313.
55. Hazen, Henry Allen, History of Billerica, Mass., with a Genealogical Register, (Boston: A. Williams & Co., 1883), [Billerica Hist.], 139.
56. [Hamlin], 106.
57. [Farwell(1929)], 540.
58. Crocker, Henry G., Nathaniel Crocker, 1758-1855, His Descendants and Ancestors of the Names of Allen, Blood, Bragg, Brewster, Bursley, Chase, Davis, Fairbanks, . . . and Others, Together with Genealogies of Many of Their Connections., (Concord, N.H.: The Rumford Press, 1923), [Crocker (1923)], 58.
59. Hawes, Frank Mortimer, Foster Record: an Account of Thomas Foster of Billerica, Mass., and Some of His Descendants, with Appendices Relating to Inter-Marriages, Chillingsworth, Freeman, Winslow, Lewis and King, (Somerville, Mass.: Fred E. Bradford, 1889), [Foster Anc.], 87.
60. Anderson, Robert Charles, George F. Sanborn, Jr. and Melinde Lutz Sanborn, The Great Migration: Immigrants to New England 1634-1635., (New England Historic Genealogical Society), [GreatMig1634-1635], II:480.
61. [NEHGR], 9:286.
62. Scituate, Plymouth co., MA Vital Records, [ScituateVR], p. 240.
63. [GreatMig1634-1635], II:591.
64. Backus, Mary Elizabeth (Neilson), The New England Ancestry of Dana Converse Backus, ([Salem, Mass.: privately printed, 1949]), [Backus Anc.], 83.
65. [NEHGR], 44:367; 66:179; 86:348.
66. Dillon, Arthur Orison, The Ancestors of Arthur Orison Dillon, (The Author, 1927), [DillonAnc], 24.
67. Huntington, Rev. E. B., A Genealogical Memoir of the Lo-Lathrop Family, (Ridgefield Conn.: privately printed, 1884), [Lathrop].
68. Van Wagenen, Avis (Stearns), Genealogy and Memoirs of Charles and Nathaniel Stearns, (Syracuse, N.Y.: Courier Printing Co., 1901), vol. 2, [Stearns (#1)], 1:25.
69. Billerica, Middlesex co., MA Vital Records, [BillVR], 259.
70. Baldwin, Charles Candee, The Baldwin Genealogy From 1500 to 1881, (Cleveland, Ohio: [The Leader Printing Company], 1881), [Baldwin], 689.
71. Holman, Mary Lovering, The Scott Genealogy, (Boston, MA: 1919), [Scott (1919)], 195.
72. French, John M., Lieut. William French & His Descendants, New England Historic & Genealogical Register, [FrenchFrench], 44(1890):367-72.
||Return to the Lothrop Index page.||
|Return to the Family Index page.||
||Return to the Surname Index page.|
||Return to the Maddison Side Tree page.||
all the content on this page is copyrighted ©1992-2002 by Kristin C. Hall.
please drop me a line, if you wish to use it or link to it.