|BIRTH||If Mary is the elder sibling, then she was born before the estimated 1625 birthdate of her brother, Edmund.|
|DEATH||Mary died in October 1700 in Ipswich, Essex co., MA as "___, wid., Oct. __, 1700."[21,27].|
|PROOF OF PARENTAGE||Mary's parentage has just gained acceptance, thanks to the work of Robert Anderson, et. al in The Great Migration series. Edmund Lockwood of Cambridge had at least two children with his first wife ("implied by a court order to the Watertown church 'to dispose of the elder children'..."), but only the identity of son Edmund had previously been determined. Anderson, et. al. conclude that since Edmund Jr's. wife was from Ipswich, Essex co., MA, it is likely that he was placed there by the Watertown Church, per the court order. Ergo, it is likely that other Lockwood children were placed there as well. While no records specifically identify Mary Lockwood as a part of this family, the case made in The Great Migration is a good one adn I trust Anderson's scholarship implicitly. Interestingly enough, the Lockwood family completely dropped out of Essex co. Vital Records until after 1800. Mary, while cared for by her foster family, was not educated and could only make her mark on land deeds[28,29].|
|MARRIAGE||On 30 September 1652 Mary married Jeremy BELCHER, in Ipswich, Essex co., MA[21,31,32,33,34,35,36].|
|CHILDREN (surnamed BELCHER||
||i.||Abigail BELCHER||Please see her own page.|
|GENERATION||Great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great (G9) Grandfather|
1. Anderson, Robert Charles,
The Great Migration Begins: Immigrants to New England 1620-1633.,
(Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society),
2. Ibid. II:1193.
3. Bond, Henry, Genealogies of the Families and Descendants of the Early Settlers of Watertown, Massachusetts, (Boston: NEHGS, 1860) [Appended to the Watertown, Middlessex co., MA VRs on the CD], [Bond or Watertown], II:854.
4. [GreatMig.], I:1192,1193.
5. Records of the Governor and Company of the Massachusetts Bay in New England, 1628-1686; 5 volumes in 6, Nathaniel B. Shurtleff, ed. (Boston: 1853-1854), [MCBR], 1:134; 1:95,96; 1:134.
6. [GreatMig.], II:1193.
7. The Records of the Town of Cambridge (Formerly Newtowne) Massachusetts, 1630-1703., (Cambridge: 1901), [CaTR].
8. [GreatMig.], II:1194.
9. [MCBR], 1:83.
10. Ibid. 1:134.
11. Ibid. 1:95,96.
12. Ibid. 1:143-44.
13. Ibid. 1:151.
14. [GreatMig.], II:1192.
15. [CaTR], 2.
16. [MCBR], 1:79,366.
17. Ibid. 1:81.
18. Ibid. 1:95.
19. Ibid. 1:96.
20. [GreatMig.], I:1193.
21. Torrey, Charles, New England Marriages Prior to 1700., (Boston: New England Historic and Genealogical Society). [Torrey].
22. New England Historic and Genealogical Register. Vols. 1+, (Boston: New England Historic and Genealogical Register, 1845+), [NEHGR], 2:180-1.
23. Page, Lucius R., List of Freemen of MA, 1630-1691., [Page-Freemen], 609.
24. [Bond or Watertown], 364,854.
25. [Mills, William S.], Lineages and History of the Call Family Continued, ([bound with Call (1908), Brooklyn, N.Y., 1910]), [CallCorr], 11.
26. [Bond or Watertown], I:353.
27. Ipswich, Essex co., MA Vital Records. [IVR or IpswichVR], II:489.
28. [GreatMig.], I:231.
29. [IVR or IpswichVR], 3:292.
30. [GreatMig.], I:234.
31. Woolson, Lula May (Fenno), The Woolson-Fenno Ancestry and Allied Lines, with Bio. Sketches, ([Boston]: privately printed, 1907), [Woolson-Fenno], 98.
32. Bartlett, Joseph Gardner, Belcher Families in New England, (Boston: NEHGS, 1906), [Belcher], 20.
33. [NEHGR], 11:238; 60:249; 70:104.
34. Savage, James A., A Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England, 1860-1862., (Boston 1860-1862; rpt Baltimore 1955), [Savage], 1:156.
35. The Essex Antiquarian, (13 vols.)(n.p., 1897-1909), [EssexAnt], 6:18; 8:140.
36. Bridges, Samuel Willard, Bridges Genealogy including Britton, DeNike, ([Boston: George H. Ellis & Co. 1960]), [BridgesAnc], 14.
37. Essex Institute Historical Collections, vol. 1+, (Salem, Mass., 1859+), [EIHC], 4:17.
38. The American Genealogist, [TAG], 24:41; 10:110; 11:36.
39. [NEHGR], 4:181.
||Return to the Lockwood Index page.||
|Return to the Family Index page.||
||Return to the Surname Index page.|
||Return to the Maddison Side Tree page.||