|BIRTH & DEATH||Nathan was born on 3 January 1702/3 in Lynn, Essex co., MA as "Bread, Nathan"  and died in Lynn, Essex co., MA on 26 February 1755; he was 53.|
|OCCUPATION & RESIDENCE||Nathan was a Cordwainer and received half of 4 acres of salt marsh "at the pines" and 1 1/2 acres of a wood lot near Blood Swamp in his father's will.|
|CHURCH MEMBERSHIP||Nathan was a lifelong Quaker.|
Nathan's own will was written on 13 January 1755 and was proved on on 7 April 1755. It is recorded as Essex Probate #3240; Book 333, p. 22.
"In the name of God amen. I, Nathan Breed of Lynn...cordwainer, being apprehensive of my mortality, but of sound disposing mind and memory do make...this and this only to be my Last Will and Testament and do hereby appoint, constitute my well beloved wife Mary my sole Executrix.
Imprimis. I command my soul to the mercy of God and order that my body be decently interred at the discretion of my Executrix.
Item: I will that my Executrix out of the money due me by book and special obligation.
Item: I will and give to my said wife Mary and to her heirs and assigns forever 20 pounds current lawful silver six and eight penny money out of my outstanding money...Also I five to my said wife...all my wrought plate except my silver Tandard: Also I give to my said wife for and during the whole time she shall remain my widow the whole and entire use and improvement of all my remaining estate both real and personal except apparel and books for her own comfortable support and to enable her to bring up our children, yet in their minority, but not to have the liberty of cutting any more fire wood off my estate annually than my said wife shall find sufficient for her family use, and in case my said wife shall see meet to marry, I then will and bequeath to her annually, for and during the whole time of her natural life five pounds lawful silver, six and eight penny money, to e paid to her on order by my three sons, Ezra, Zephaniah, and Daniel or such as shall legally represent them, in three equal parts, each son one third - my said wife accepting the above in lieu of her right of dower in my estate.
Item: I will and give to my three sons, Ezra, Zephaniah, and Daniel in three equal parts, all my wearing apparel to be delivered to them by my said Executrix at such time as she shall see meet during her widowhood.
Item: I will and give to all my children - in equal parts - all my books to be delivered to them by my said Executrix as she shall judge expedient within the terms of her natural life.
Item: I will and give to my son Ezra his heirs and assignes forever, my silver Tankard.
Item: In case my said wife shall see need to marry again, and either or all my daughters - viz Abigail, Alice, Anna and Mary, shall at the time of her marrying remain unmarried is not arrived to the age of twenty one years, I will and give to such daughter or Daughters Each of them five pounds Lawful Silver Six and eight penny money, to be annually paid to them and each of them during the time they and each of them remain unmarried, and till they arrive to twenty one years of age and no longer, by my said three sons in equal parts, as is herein provided and ordered.
Item: I will to my unmarried daughters, after my said wifes improvement of my dwelling house and estate as above ceases In case of their being then unmarried during the whole time they or either of them shall remain the improvement and whole use of the West lower room in my Dwelling House, liberty of the use of my kitchen for washing and baking, convenient cellar room, suitable garment room, and to pass and repass to the well and other ways if they may have occasion, without any Lett or Trouble.
Item: I will, give and bequeath to my daughters Hannah, Abigail, Alice, Anna and Mary and to each of them the full sum of Fifty Three pounds six shilllings and eight pence current Lawful Silver, six and eight penny money - that is to say, Forty pounds of said sum to each of my said daughters at the time of my wife's improvement of my Estate ceasing in case of her or their marriage or their arrival to the lawful ageand the remaining thirteen pounds six shillings and eight pence sch money to be paid to them and each of them upon my said wife's decease to by paid by my said three sons, Ezra, Zephaniah, and Daniel or such as shall legally represent them in equal parts, Each of my sons one third part as is herein provided. But in case either of my said daughters die before their marriage or lawful age, then my Will is that the sister or sisters them surviving shall Receive equally of my said sons, the monies, ordered and given as above to such of my daughters or daughter as shall so decease.
Item: I will and give to my said daughters Hannah, Abigail, Anna, Alse and Mary to them and their heirs; that is to say, to such of them as may be living or such as may have children living at the time of my said Wife's Decease or marriage, all my household moveables, Except money, books, Apparel and wrought plate (if it may be called such). After my said wife's improvement and use of the same shall expire, by her marriage or Decease to be divided among them in equal parts, in full of each (4:? sd?) portion in my estate.
Item: I will give and bequeath to my said sons, Ezra, Zephaniah, and Daniel and to their heirs and assigns forever (excepting as is herein after expressed) After my said Wife's improvement of my Estate, as above given her shall cease by her marriage or Decease, my whole remaining estate Real and personal wherever situate and to be found to be and abide to my said sons in equal parts, that is to say to each of them one third part and in that proportion to their respective heirs, But always on the following conditions, to be in all rewards punctually complied with - viz the true and just payment of the sum of money I have given, to my said Wife to be annually paid her in case she marries again, as in herein above ordered. Also my daughter or daughters, in all regards, improving the west lower room in my house kitchen garden well etc. as I have above ordered. Also upon condition of the just payment of the several sums of lawful silver money to my...Abigail Alie Anna & Mary to them and each of them in all regardds as I have above ordered and willed, Including the five pounds of lawful money to be annually paid to such of them as may remain unmarried, upon my said wife's being married again; as I have above willed and ordered Excepting that in case, Either of my said sons die, before they arrive to lawful age and after my wife's improvement ceases that than I will that four pounds lawful silver money (being part of the right of my son or sons, so deceased, in my estate as above given him or them) shall be duly paid to my daughters then surviving, that is to say to each of them four pounds such money, and the remainder of my Deceased son or sons interest in my estate be equally divided among my then surviving son or sons, being their full portion in my estate. In witness whereof I hereto set my hand and seal at Lynn, January the thirtieth Anno Domini 1755. Nathan Breed.
Witnesses: Nathaniel Henchmen, Ebeneezer Breed, Daniel Basset.
|MARRIAGE||On 28 October 1728 when Nathan was 26, he married Mary BASSETT, daughter of John BASSETT & Abigail BERRY, in Lynn, Essex co., MA.|
|CHILDREN||90.||i.||Hannah1 BREED||Hannah1 was born on 20 July 1729 in Lynn, Essex co., MA and died in Lynn, Essex co., MA on 18 August 1730; she was 1.|
|91.||ii.||Hannah2 BREED||Please see her own page.|
||92.||iii.||Ezra BREED||Ezra was born on 16 March 1733 in Lynn, Essex co., MA and died in Lynn, Essex co., MA on 23 August 1821; he was 88. Ezra married Huldah BREED, who died on 5 October 1817 in Lynn, Essex co., MA.|
||93.||iv.||Abigail BREED||Abigail was born on 13 March 1735 in Lynn, Essex co., MA and married Nehemiah BREED (46), son of Samuel BREED (20) & Anna HOOD.|
||94.||v.||Zephaniah BREED||Zephaniah was born on 10 March 1737 in Lynn, Essex co., MA. Zephaniah first married Ruth PHILLIPS and second married Abigail COLLINS.|
||95.||vi.||John BREED||John was born on 8 May 1739 in Lynn, Essex co., MA and died in Lynn, Essex co., MA on 1 July 1740; he was 1.|
||96.||vii.||Daniel BREED||Daniel was born on 9 July 1742 in Lynn, Essex co., MA and married Elizabeth PHILLIPS.|
||97.||viii.||Alice BREED||Alice was born on 22 September 1744 in Lynn, Essex co., MA. Variations on her name are Alice, Alse & Alie. Alice first married William GRAY and second married Colonel Ezra NEWHALL.|
||98.||ix.||Anna BREED||Anna was born on 17 September 1746 in Lynn, Essex co., MA and married Ezra BURRILL.|
||99.||x.||Mary BREED||Mary was born on 4 August 1748 in Lynn, Essex co., MA and married Phillips SAWYER.|
||100.||xi.||Enoch BREED||Enoch was born on 13 April 1750 in Lynn, Essex co., MA and died on 7 September 1750 in Lynn, Essex co., MA.|
|GENERATION||Great-great-great-great-great-great (G6) Grandfather|
1. The Essex Genealogist,
Lindberg, Marcia Wiswall "The Breed Family-Descendants of Allen Breed (or Bread) of Lynn,",
[Lindberg-Breed], 11,#4[November 1991]:198.
2. Torrey, Charles, New England Marriages Prior to 1700., (Boston: New England Historic and Genealogical Society). [Torrey].
3. Lynn, Essex co., MA Vital Records, [LynnVR], II:432.
4. Howard, Loea Parker, The Beginning of Reading and Lynnfield Massachusetts, (1937), [Howard], 5.
5. Lewis, Alonzo, & James Newhall, History of Lynn, Essex County, Mass., including Lynnfield, Saugus, Swampscot, and Nahant, 16219-, (Lynn: George C. Herbert, ), [Lynn Hist.], 193-196.
6. Records and Files of the Quarterly Courts of Essex County, Massachusetts, 1636-1686, 9 volumes, (Salem 1911-1975), [EQC], 1:79.
7. Ibid. I:79.
8. Essex co., MA Deeds, [EssexDeeds or ELR], II:107.
9. [Lindberg-Breed], 11,#4[November 1991]:198-9.
10. Ibid. 11, #4[November 1991]:199.
11. [EssexDeeds or ELR], II:108.
12. [Lindberg-Breed], 11,#4[November 1991]:200.
13. Essex co., MA Deeds, [EssexDeeds or ELR], II:108.
14. Ibid. 9:10.
15. Sumner, Edith (Bartlett), Ancestry of Edward Wales Blake and Clarissa Matilda Glidden with Ninety Allied Families, (Los Angeles, 1948), [Blake-Glidden], 259.
16. New England Historic and Genealogical Register. Vols. 1+, (Boston: New England Historic and Genealogical Register, 1845+), [NEHGR], 59:221.
17. The American Genealogist, [TAG], 14:2.
18. DeForest, Louis Effingham, Our Colonial and Continental Ancestors: The Ancestry of Mr. and Mrs. Louis William Dommerich, (New York, N.Y.: The DeForest Publ. Co., 1930), [DommerichChart], 54.
19. Essex Institute Historical Collections, vol. 1+, (Salem, Mass., 1859+), [EIHC], 40:149.
20. Howell, George Rogers, The Early History of Southampton, L.I., New York, 2nd ed., (Albany, N.Y.: Weed, Parsons Co., 1887), [Southampton], 423.
21. The Essex Antiquarian, (13 vols.)(n.p., 1897-1909), [EssexAnt], 11:145.
22. Williams, C.B., Ancestry of Lawrence Williams, (Chicago: privately printed, 1915), [Williams (#16)], 57,58.
23. [Lynn Hist.], 115.
24. Snow, Nora Emma, The Snow-Estes Ancestry, 2 vols., (Hillburn, N.Y.: privately printed, 1939), [Snow-Estes], 1:249.
25. Parke, Nathan Grier, The Ancestry of Lorenzo Ackley and His Wife Emma Arabella Bosworth, (Woodstock, Vt., 1960), [Ackley-Bosworth], 52.
26. Stevens, E.D., and DuBois, L.D., The Ancestors of Courtlandt Palmer Dixon Palmer Dixon and His Wife Hannah Elizabeth Williams of Stonington, Conn., Containing also a List of Their Descendants, (n.p.: Dixon Assoc., 1927), [Dixon-Williams], 28.
27. Frost, Josephine C., Ancestors of Henry Rogers Winthrop and His Wife Alice Woodward Babcock, ([New York?], 1927), [Winthrop-Babcock], 67.
28. [TAG], 52:1-4.
29. Savage, James A., A Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England, 1860-1862., (Boston 1860-1862; rpt Baltimore 1955), [Savage], 1:241.
30. The Register of the Lynn Historical Society, Lynn, Mass., (Lynn, Mass., 1897+), [Lynn Hist. Soc.], 1906:86, 1914:35.
31. Dwight, Benjamin W., The History of the Descendants of John Dwight of Dedham, Mass., 2 vols., (New York: John F. Trow & Son, 1874), [Dwight], 1108.
32. [Williams (#16)], 58.
33. [EssexAnt], 9:155; 11:145; 12:140.
34. Preston, Mary Isabella, Bassett-Preston Ancestors; a History of the Ancestors in America of Marion Bassett Luitweiler, Howard Murray Bassett, Preston Rogers Bassett, Isabel Bassett Wasson, and Helen Bassett Hauser, Children of Edward M. and Annie (Preston), (New Haven: The Tuttle Morehouse & Taylor Co., 1930), [Bassett-Preston], 18.
35. [DommerichChart], 45.
36. [DommerichChart], 20.
37. [NEHGR], 53:201.
38. Lawrence, Ethel Viola, Tripp Family with Collaterals, ([East Northfield?, Mass.], 1948), [Tripp (1948)], 54.
39. Farlow, Charles Frederic, Ballard Genealogy: William Ballard (1603-1639) of Lynn, Massachusetts and William Ballard (1617-1689) of Andover, Massachusetts and Their Descendants, (Boston: C. H. Pope, 1911), [Ballard], 16.
40. [LynnVR], II:55 [Ct. R.].
41. Coldham, Peter Wilson, The Complete Book Of Emigrants, (Baltimore, MD: Genealogical Publishing co., Inc., 1987), [Coldham], 150.
42. [Lindberg-Breed], 11,#4[November 1991]:201.
43. Ibid. 11, #4[November 1991]:201-2.
44. [EIHC], 50:151.
45. [Snow-Estes], 1:422.
46. The Mayflower Descendant, vols. 1-34, Bowman, George Ernest, ed., (Boston: Mayflower Society, 1899-1937), [MD], 3:185.
47. [LynnVR], II:432 [Ct. R.].
48. Page, Lucius R., List of Freemen of MA, 1630-1691., [Page-Freemen], III:10-12.
49. [Newhall(1882)], 32.
50. Salem, Essex co., MA Vital Records. [SalemVR]
51. [Newhall(1882)], 20,32.
52. [LynnVR], I:60 [Ct. R.].
53. Ibid. II:436 [G.R. 1].
54. [EQC], 6:400; 7:158.
55. [Lindberg-Breed], 11,#5:31-2.
56. Ibid. 11, #5:31.
57. [LynnVR], II:134 and II:55.
58. [EssexAnt], 9:47, 143; 11:146.
59. [EIHC], 18:233, 235-6.
60. [LynnVR], I:145 [Ct. R.].
61. Ibid. II:438.
62. Ibid. I:61 [Ct. R.].
63. Wyman, Thomas Bellows, The Genealogies and Estates of Charlestown, 2 vols., (Boston: D. Clapp and Son, 1879), [Charlestown], 1:120.
64. [LynnVR], II:439.
65. Ibid. II:438 [P.R. 6].
66. Ibid. II:62.
67. [Newhall(1882)], 48.
68. [Snow-Estes], 2:66.
69. [EIHC], 45:52.
70. [EssexAnt], 11:148.
71. Bosson, Jennie (Hood), John Hood of Lynn, Mass., (Salem: Essex Institute, 1909), [Hood], 4.
72. Topsfield Historical Society, The Historical Collections of, vols. 1+, (Topsfield, Mass.: The Society, 1895), [Topsfield Hist. Soc.], 14:96.
73. [LynnVR], II:55.
74. Ibid. I:196.
75. Ibid. I:61.
76. [Newhall(1882)], 44.
77. Ibid. 43.
78. Ibid. 25, 43.
79. Ibid. 43-44.
80. Ibid. 46.
81. [LynnVR], II:436 [P.R. 5].
82. [EIHC], First Book of Intentions of Marriage in the City of Lynn, 16:71ff.
83. [Newhall(1882)], 25,46.
84. Ibid. 45.
85. Ibid. 25, 45.
86. Ibid. 55.
87. Ibid. 55, 52.
88. Ibid. 56.
89. [Lindberg-Breed], ???:165.
90. [LynnVR], II:56.
91. [Newhall(1882)], 44-5.
92. Ibid. 25.
93. [LynnVR], II:438 [P.R. 5].
94. Ibid. II:437 [P.R. 5].
95. Ibid. II:62 [C.R. 1].
96. Ibid. II:263.
97. Ibid. I:62.
98. [Newhall(1882)], 46,48.
100. [LynnVR], I:68.
101. [Newhall(1882)], 45,55.
102. [LynnVR], II:264.
103. Ibid. I:67.
104. Ibid. II:433 [G.R. 1].
105. [EIHC], Waters Newhall Listings, #323 (under her motherıs listing), v. 18, pp. 259-260.
106. [Newhall(1882)], 56,102.
107. Ibid. 102.
108. [EIHC], Waters Newhall Listings, #315, v. 19, p. 52.
110. [Newhall(1882)], 55, 56.
111. [EIHC], Waters Newhall Listings #728, v. 48 p. 320.
112. [LynnVR], I:65.
113. Ibid. II:434 [C.R. 5 and P.R. 53].
114. [Newhall(1882)], 59.
115. [LynnVR], I:66.
116. Ibid. II:435.
117. Lynn Historic Society Genealogies, [LHSG], VI, #20.
118. [LynnVR], I:269 [C.R. 1].
119. Ibid. I:66 [as the correct ³Hannah Breed² entry-dated 30 May 1731].
120. Ibid. II:540 [C.R. 1].
121. Ibid. II:257 [P.R. 125] (three entries on this same page).
122. Ibid. II:58 [The correct entry under ³Breed, Hannah².
123. Ibid. I:269.
124. Ibid. II:540.
125. Ibid. II:257.
126. Ibid. II:434 [C.R. 1 and P.R. 53].
127. Ibid. II:435 [P.R. 2].
128. Ibid. I:74.
129. Ibid. II:436.
130. Ibid. I:64.
131. Ibid. I:70.
132. Ibid. II:434.
133. Ibid. II:264 [C.R.1].
134. [Newhall(1882)], 143.
135. [LynnVR], I:278.
136. Ibid. II:263 [C.R.1].
||Return to the Breed Index page.||
|Return to the Family Index page.||
||Return to the Surname Index page.|
||Return to the Maddison Side Tree page.||
all the content on this page is copyrighted ©1992-2002 by Kristin C. Hall.
SPECIAL THANKS TO kattyb.com for the nifty background! Check our her sites, they are terrific!
please drop me a line, if you wish to use it or link to it.
SPECIAL THANKS TO kattyb.com for the nifty background! Check our her sites, they are terrific!